So I made something!!!
There were a couple of scrappy bits of foam board in the shed - and an old photo frame. So I stuck 2 bits of foam board into the frame -
Then I got some thin round dowling and cut it into 4" lengths - mapped out a grid on the foam board - poked in holes and glued the dowling in.
The chap next door was a bit bemused by it - lots of little sticks poking out of a board - looks a bit odd that!!
I bought a spray can of paint - and I chose one that had a 'lumpy' texture. I thought it would cover a multitude of sins ;-) - and help to keep the bobbins in place better than something smooth.
So - Here it is. I have glued it to the door that is right behind my sewing machine - I thought it would be better if I guled it flat - otherwise it woud slope and the bobbins might fall off.
It does look really smart - and I can see what colours I have - all I have to do is PUT THEM BACK WHEN I CHANGE COLOUR