It's been a tough year - first quarter I was seriously thinking that the shop would fall. None of us was prepared for the downturn in the town after the floods - and it just went on and on. I wore myself out trying to get help - practical and financial - to tide me over until things improved. Nothing - no help - no one would lend a hand - even the landlords ignored all the whole alleys plees. Then - after Easter - things lifted a bit.
I put in for a grant to the community flood relief charity - it was really gutty - I had to submit all my accounts - plead my case - and try to get them to understand my crazy little business. Bless them - they compensate me for loss of earnings January/Febuary/March - then gave me a little top up for April/May/June. It was not a huge amount - most people will take home more than that in a month - it was just that they listened - and could see the value in supporting me through the bump.
That - and the old goat paying my flat rates for 6 months this year - are about the only reason I am still here. I have been holding on just for tonight - for the past 8 months. It has been such a tough ride!
S0 - as they say - what went well / badly - what would you change. Not all the monthly tasks survived!
- I have loved doing the monthy kits - that's going to stay
- the videos bit the dust pretty fast - perfectly comfortable in front of the camera - but - lack of time - lack of skill to do the editing - oh and I blew up the laptop that had the editing on and they would not let me transfer it to my new one! So that has been a flop!
- something that really surprised me - I struggled with the layout sketches - never expected that one - lived and died for the past 8 years on paper crafting and I just could not create them!!!!! I don't know if it was because my head was so stretched elsewhere that I could not get in settled in - but it became too much of a problem child to continue with.
- the knitting squares - love - love - loved doing these. I have no idea how many (or not!) of you have followed along because they are out here and on my site for free - but knitting is my second language. If I could send emails with knitting needles I would have such a huge following ;-) Seriously - these will continue.
Next year - focus shiftling slightly.
- the 'Kit of the Month' - keeper. With more sewing projects and some embroidery types too.
- knitted squares - with the odd variation!!!! - will continue
- we will be doing less paper crafting - moving more into knitting/crochet and fabric - I am just not selling paper/card anymore ? ? ? Sorry - what can I do? I have to stock what is selling to pay the rent and yarns - fabric - habby is growing. Also more sewing kits - you have been asking for more embroidery and the like.
- jewellery making will be growing. I have a new wholesaler and I am finding my way around their site so let me know what you need.
- and if you are wondering how it's all going to fit in - we are having a bit of a move about and re-fit. Couple of new units and a few alterations to streamline and tidy.
I am going to make a huge effort to be more organised this year.
You know the old Jewish proverb - Man plans - God laughs - - - - come on then 2017 let's see what you got!!!!